This is GOOD STUFF!

Gadgets Guru Online Shopping

Thursday, September 3, 2009

ISB application essay 2011

date : 20 November 2008 21:10
subject : ISB Admission Offer

The email : Congratulations! We are delighted to inform you that on the basis of a comprehensive and careful evaluation process, you have been offered admission into the ISB’s one year Post Graduate Programme in Management which commences on April 13, 2009.

15th September is fast approaching and you are lost. You really want the above email in your inbox - what do you do? here is a ISB guy who does a good job of analysing ISB essays better than many http://pulyanithinks.blogspot.com/


GMAT
I believe you have taken the GMAT and scored above 700 - a score below which chances of an ISB admit fade fast. There are quite a few people here whose scores are below 700, but in my opinion it is almost an expectation of the Indian IT Male to go >700. Obviously a low GMAT can be compensated by good undergrad grades. But with less than 10 days to go for the app deadline don't try to analyse the GMAT too much. With anything above 700 you are safe and above 740 adds to your profile [IMHO].

WORK EX
Once you have a work ex of more than 2 years don't worry about the "quantity of work-ex" - quality matters. International projects and big names matter. If you have been involved in customer facing roles or business development it really helps. If you have been writing software make sure you have a good understanding of the domain. Financial IT (such as banking software) should be leveraged upon. Promotions and awards are very common for my fellow students - so make sure you write about any recognition that you might have received.

If you have been working for more than 4 years then you need to show gradual improvement and examples of leadership. Nothing matters more than leadership at ISB. If you have been managing people at work, this needs to be brought forward very clearly. International work ex for IT guys is very common at ISB.

Entrepreneurs are really welcome - If you have been involved in corporate or private entrepreneurship make sure you highlight that.
Family businesses are another positive - but make sure you arent bluffing or lying in your resume.

Hobbies / Co-curricular
There are some really really talented folks at ISB. Sports, music, dance, sailing , flying, acting are a part of the culture at ISB. A lot of people have engaged[before joining ISB] in competitive forms of above - state team, college team, dance competitions, music band/competitions etc. Make sure you highlight these.

Leave me a comment if you have queries about your application

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Not all business fronts (design side of non IT at a 10000+ employee firm) provide an oppurtunity to lead or direct people at 4 years experience, at least I felt that. What in your opinion is a possible compensation of such scenario?

Dr.A.Lewa said...

Hello,
i like your blog, it is very nice but need more visitors.
Good luck

Whats In A Name said...

Hi !!!
I hopped here from pg.com...
Congrats on being selected to ISB. ( Belated ).
I am a 29 year computer science graduate . After engineering instead of joining the regular IT stream, I jumped into my family business and started helping out my elder brother ! I have been into my family business since 2004 and it is doing great !!!

However , I have always felt that a professional degree shall help me stream line our business and give me the much required guidance to grow it further !

I am planning to apply in the first cycle of admissions at the ISB which begins from 1st of June.

However I havent prepared for GMAT much. And I really dont know what score should I target at ! People with Family Business Backgrounds are few and scarce at ISB and I dont know the threshold that I need to cross ! Can you help me out on this ?

Also what can be the last date to which I can delay my GMAT if I plan to appear in the first cycle of interviews ?
(Given that the first cycle commences from 1st of June and I dont know whats the last date to complete the application...)

Thanks in Advance !!! :-)

Unknown said...

What a terrific site you have. advertising is a good learning for everybody.


Yet, beware of the scammer site. it gives you pain in your head.
I can also recommend a reliable site to ensure your learnings.Bestdissertation.com Scam

Apphelp Consulting Services said...

For ISB Essays tips for class of 2012, visit : www.apphelp.co.in/ISB-Hyderabad-Essay-Tips-Deadlines.htm